Overlooking the valleys of Gascony, the Château des Fousseries welcomes you all year round in the heart of a 12 hectare estate. The castle is an invitation to discover the art of living in Gers and the many historical riches that the region has. From the Abbey of Flaran to the Collegiate Church of La Romieu, passing through the many surrounding fortified villages, history is at every turn.
The castle underwent a major renovation phase completed in 2020, in order to be converted into a prestigious guest house, meeting the expectations of the most demanding clientele: elegant and spacious rooms, contemporary furniture and choice of noble materials, high-end bedding, air conditioning, wifi and the latest technologies. Two luxury perched huts make their arrival in the park.
As evidenced by the thickness of the stone walls and the presence of loopholes, the Château des Fousseries was therefore originally a war fortress. The building has undergone several notable alterations, notably during the Renaissance where large openings were created, then in the 2nd part of the 20th century.
It also conceals a little mystery: a secret passage connecting a room in the castle to the adjoining church, St Pierre de Grazimis. Without doubt pure convenience and privilege of one of the owners of the castle wanting to attend mass. This passage has since been blocked.
Indeed, from 1150 to 1450, the Kingdom of Aquitaine was under English dominance. At the start of the 14th century, tensions with the Kingdom of France continued to grow, a prelude to the Hundred Years War which ended in 1453. The Château des Fousseries was built because Condom, located on the edge of these two kingdoms, probably did not want to be attached to the Kingdom of Aquitaine.
The city, moreover named “Condom the Rebel”, was finally besieged by the English in 1340. This date very probably sets the limit of the period of construction of the castle which aimed to prepare the conflict which would last 100 years. In the last years of the war, the French archives regaining their rights, it was then possible to identify the first French owner of the castle. According to the historian Jacques Lapart in his book “Castles and beautiful residences of the Gers”, it was about the Lord of Fosseries in 1446.